Ways to Lose Your Permanent Resident Status

In general, permanent resident status is constant. The USCIS grants it to people who plan to live in the US forever. Green card holders, commonly known as permanent residents, can work and live in the US permanently.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of ways to lose permanent resident status. Particular actions can result in deportation and the possible loss of your immigration status.

Since you know that the USCIS can revoke your status, you have to be careful. If you want to protect your immigration status, permanent resident status, or temporary protected status (TPS Venezuela), here are several things you should avoid:

Criminal Convictions

Not every criminal conviction will result in a person losing permanent resident status. There are particular forms of criminal offenses that have higher chances of removing your permanent resident status. This is particularly true for violent crimes.

It can be extremely difficult to create an accurate list of crimes that will lead to deportation. A professional immigration lawyer can help evaluate a particular case and offer an opinion.

For particular individuals, renewing a green card can be extremely difficult after an arrest. Thus, if you’ve got a legal case, you should immediately hire a professional immigration lawyer for help.


In general, a person can commit fraud if he/she lies to obtain the benefits of immigration. Unfortunately, any representation or assertation of facts that aren’t truthful can create major immigration issues and possibly lead to the loss of your permanent resident status.

Fraud can happen during interviews, submitting evidence, preparing an application, and any exchange of details with immigration officers.

Surrendering Your Green Card Voluntarily

You have abandoned your status voluntarily as a permanent resident of the US if you file Form I-407. A lot of individuals file Form I-407 each year.

The reason why they do this is that they want to avoid the responsibility of paying taxes in the United States. Unfortunately, there are long-term consequences for this. That is why it is always ideal to consult first with a tax professional and an immigration lawyer for advice.

You can also file this form if you simply want to leave the US and not return.

Living Outside the US

In general, it will result in a loss of your permanent resident status if you live outside the United States for more than 1 year. The truth is that shorter absences can also trigger deportation.

The CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officer can put you in deportation if they determine upon reentry that you plan to live outside the US. In addition to that, it can also trigger deportation if you fail to file income taxes with the IRS while you’re living outside the United States.

Every year, a lot of individuals abandon their permanent resident status unintentionally when they return to their country of origin. They might have to tend to their medical needs, attend school, or take care of a sick loved one. If you don’t plan and prepare, it can result in deportation and the loss of your permanent resident status.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.